The Easiest Skirt of your life (x2)
I’m the queen of cheap and easy sewing projects inexpensive discount canada goose winnipeg factory . If there’s a fun fabric around and I can make it wearable, canada goose retailers montreal store
. in garment form discount canada goose winnipeg factory . in an hour or less. I’m going to go for it. This weekend I found some fun printed upholstery fabrics at my local shop that suggested immediate and simple fashions with barely any effort required discount canada goose winnipeg factory discount .
There’s no garment more simple to sew than an elastic-waisted skirt. and I’ve found that if I skip the casing and buy elastic that can serve as a waistband. unattended. I can simplify the “simple” even farther. This skirt takes only four seams to make. and requires no measuring.
Materials discount canada goose winnipeg factory .
3/4 yard fabric of choice
1 yard (or waist measurement length) 2 1/2″ wide elastic
Directions cheap discount canada goose winnipeg factory .
1) zigzag the top edge of your fabric
2) cut the elastic to be just long enough to fit around your waist and sit comfortably. slightly stretched discount canada goose winnipeg factory . at just the height you want to wear your skirt discount canada goose winnipeg factory on sale .
3) fold the elastic in half and mark the center with a pin canada goose retailer nyc online store . Then fold each half in half. and mark each quarter point with a pin. Fold each segment in half once more. and pin for each 1/8 point. Then. repeat the same process along the top edge of your fabric.
4) You will now have the same number of pins in both your elastic and along the top edge of your fabric. Pin the elastic to the top edge of your fabric. overlapping the zigzagged edge by 1/2″. and matching up elastic pins to fabric pins. Because your fabric is longer than the elastic. the fabric will bunch up between each pin.
5) Sew both layers together. stretching the elastic so that it goes through your sewing machine smoothly right on top of the fabric beneath it. Sew close to the edge of the elastic. The stretch will created a “gather” in the fabric.
This is what it looks like. front and back. when you have finished.
If you have trouble holding the elastic stretched while sewing, cheap canada goose large fit
. you can also run two rows of straight stitches along the zigzagged edge of the fabric (no backtracking) and gather it. first. and then pin it to the elastic. already gathered. Pin. and sew that in place.
6) Sew the side seam. with right sides together discount womens canada goose kensington parka navy . pin the ends of the elastic together. and the sides of the fabric. Sew a 1/2″ seam across the ends of the elastic and all the way along the fabric. I sew back and forth across the ends of the elastic several times. to secure it strongly canada goose expedition spirit jacket store . Press seam open.
7) Try on your skirt. Trim your skirt to the desired length canada goose polar bear uk outlet store . and hem it. I turn up and press a narrow edge along the bottom of the skirt (1/4″) and then turn up and press another 1/4″. folding the raw edge inside, discount canada goose womens jackets sales uk
. I use the blind-hem setting on my sewing machine to stitch it in place. You can also just top-stitch it. Press seam.
In addition to being easy. depending on the fabrics you find canada goose mystique parka amsterdam . these can also be really cheap canada goose jackets kingston cheap . I paid less than $10 for each of the skirts pictured here canada goose store locator montreal sales .
I also feel I was a little influenced. this day. shopping. by the fact that the Anthropologie catalog came in the mail that morning. I might have been slightly more in the mood for “spring prints” as I embarked discount canada goose winnipeg factory . because of the layered patterns and textures I saw there.
Tags. project. skirts.